Chief Development Officer
Nourishing Hope is looking for a Chief Development Officer.
Come work for a cause you can believe in – at an organization that will believe in you!
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) serves as the chief fundraiser for Nourishing Hope and is primarily responsible for the successful development and execution of Nourishing Hope’s short- and long-term fundraising efforts as well as for overseeing the volunteer recruitment and operations for the agency. The CDO leads a group of 10 professionals on two teams including three direct reports (Director of Individual Giving, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, and Director of Volunteers).
The CDO will drive the creation of a development plan that will target engaging existing donors, and expanding the donor base to include new individual, corporate, foundation, and government supporters. They will also manage special events as well as oversee volunteer operations. The CDO will be an outward-facing member of the team and will actively and regularly interface with stakeholders. They will serve on Nourishing Hope’s senior leadership team, help shape overall organizational strategy and message, and incorporate a culture of philanthropy into the broader vision for Nourishing Hope’s work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the strategic development and execution of all fundraising and revenue generation for Nourishing Hope including annual operating revenue and capital campaigns.
- Serves as the chief architect and ambassador for all fundraising initiatives and, in partnership with the CEO, sets the revenue fundraising goals and ensures they are met or exceeded.
- Develops and implements an annual fundraising plan to support the $6.8M+ annual goal that includes revenue from individuals, direct marketing, events, foundations, corporations, and government.
- In partnership with the CEO, board, and campaign committee lead and execute a $5M growth (capital) campaign.
- Leads the Development team in identifying, qualifying, cultivating, and soliciting a portfolio of board and major giving donors and prospects.
- Uses data analytics to understand trends, identify best practices, as well as and recognize gaps in revenue streams to adapt fundraising strategy and approach to meet organizational goals.
- Ensures collaboration across the Development and Volunteer teams as well as the whole organization to identify and maximize opportunities.
- Collaborates with the Finance Department on timely monthly, quarterly, and year end reporting and reconciliations.
- Develops and coaches direct reports in the key areas of revenue generation, cultivating strategic partnerships, driving gifts, identifying unconventional revenue streams and execution of fundraising events.
- Develops and executes a high net-worth strategy that creates a pathway for individual major gifts.
- Partner with the CEO and senior leadership team to help grow the fundraising capacity of the Board, both by prospecting new members and coaching existing members to maximize their philanthropic potential.
- Serves as a staff liaison to the Board of Directors Development and Marketing Committee providing professional support including prospecting, reporting, and training.
- Oversees the development and implementation of an annual volunteer recruitment, operations, stewardship, and retention plan.
- Partners with program and operations teams to identify and curate meaningful volunteer opportunities that support our mission and engage individual, group and corporate volunteers.
- Provides strategic direction to the volunteer services department in an effort to increase the quality of the volunteer experience as well as the value of the services volunteers provide.
- Ensures effective operations of the development and volunteer teams, including use of Salesforce (CRM) and that grant applications and reports are submitted on time and all stewardship and acknowledgments are processed timely.
- Provides strong leadership and effective management for the development and volunteer teams, creating an environment of respect, creativity and professional fulfillment. Manage hiring, retention, and professional development for the teams.
- Serves as a culture builder and ambassador for the organization, with a passion for diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- 10+ years of professional experience, with at least 5 years in a senior fundraising role.
- Track record of cultivating, soliciting, stewarding, and closing funds from individuals, corporations, government, and foundations in a non-profit setting; ideally with a track record of building major gift programs and leading successful campaigns.
- Strategic leader with the ability to communicate with stakeholders up, down, and access the organization.
- Ability to pivot between tactical donor and volunteer engagement and leading and developing a team of frontline fundraisers.
- Models Nourishing Hope’s Core values and competencies: mission driven, cultural inclusion, service orientation, collaboration, growth mindset, organizational agility.
- Models Nourishing Hope’s Leadership competencies: resiliency, initiative and results driven, values and prioritizes inclusivity, strategic thinking, develops and motivates others, continuous improvement minded.
Nourishing Hope requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 including a booster (when eligible). Job offers are contingent upon proof of full vaccination or proof of medical/religious exemptions.
No calls please!
Nourishing Hope Exists Because of the Support of Our Neighbors.
With multiple food distribution programs that deliver the equivalent of 4 million meals each year, plus thousands of social service visits that empower healthy lives, Nourishing Hope strives to build a brighter future for all Chicagoans. Join us today!